Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Dog Days are Over

     Today the world lost it's most mischievous Zuchon.  I was sitting at a lovely backyard baby shower when Dirk called me with the news.  Pippin, after one of his regular great escapes from our backyard fence, had been hit by a car.  Thanks to the Lord's tender mercies, Dirk had a friend over at the time.  His friend was able to stay with our children while Dirk drove Pip to the vet.  By the time they arrived there, he couldn't feel much.  Later, when I returned to pick up Pippin's poor broken body and bring him home, the vet informed me that Pippin had died about three minutes after Dirk left.  He didn't suffer long.  I had to tell him goodbye.  I had debated whether to let the vet dispose of him or whether to bring him home and give him a proper burial.  As I looked at him lying there still in the bottom of a newspapered metal crate, I knew I had to bring Peregrin Took home.  The vet found a box.  We brought Pippin home.  We buried him in his bed along with his leash and a few favorite toys, in the corner of the backyard where he loved to spend lazy summer afternoons.  We put a stump over where he lay as a sort of headstone.  I tried to compose myself for the kid's sake as we each said a few words in memoriam.  You may find it odd that I have spent half the day sobbing over the loss of a dog who more often than not drove me crazy.  It's amazing how you can love someone who is a constant nuisance.  But I did.  I loved that stupid mutt.  I threatened to kill him myself on an almost daily basis. But I loved him.  The death of a pet is a strange thing.  When a person we love dies, we would never dream of stuffing them in a cardboard box and burying them in a shallow grave with little more than a few short words of memoriam and no obituary.  I feel terrible that I wasn't there in Pippin's last few moments.  I would have stayed with that rat of a dog until the very end.  To the woman who was stroking Pippin with tears streaming down her face when Dirk found him, thank you.  I don't know who you are.  I know you are not the one who hit him.  But thank you for making some of his last few moments here as comfortable as they could have been.  And to Pippin; I'm so sorry I wasn't there.  I'm so sorry I never fixed that bloody fence.  And I'm sorry I didn't appreciate you more while you were here.  I love you.  I think you deserve a more dignified death.  I can't change the way you died, but I can honor your life by telling my readers what a dog you were.  Peregrin Took, this one's for you:

In Memorium:Peregrin Took Stanger  August 2nd, 2010- September 8th, 2012

     Peregrin Took Stanger, known to those who loved him as "Pippin", passed away due to internal bleeding on the morning of September 8, 2012.  Pippin was born on the 2nd of August, 2010, and was taken in by the Stanger family a short time later.  As a puppy, Pippin spent his days napping by his then expectant mother, Shannon, and causing all sorts of puppy mischief.  Pippin excelled at Puppy kindergarten where he gave even the biggest and noblest breeds a run for their Kibble.  As he grew, he became slightly more mischievous, but he always loved his family fiercely.  He was a protector and playmate of Morgan, Hyrum and Ryan.  He also acted many times as Morgan's rag doll, the arch nemesis to Hyrum's Spiderman, and Ryan's pull toy.  He loved to sit for hours atop his favorite perch on top of the leather couch and gaze out the window.  He enjoyed going for long walks.  Whenever he managed to escape the confines of the Stanger yard, which was quite often, he loved to visit his friends around the neighborhood.  He also enjoyed lengthy conversations with the dogs across the fence.  Pippin was always there when anyone was having a bad day, with a wag of his tail and a lick of his pink rough tongue.  He loved Greenies and any table scraps he could get his paws on.  He had a zest for life, which was often made manifest by his complete lack of respect for authority figures or adherence to the rules.  Above all, Peregrin Took was a fiercely loyal friend who loved his family and would have done anything to keep them safe and happy.  He is survived by his brother Clarky, his parents, Shannon and Dirk and his siblings, Morgan, Hyrum and Ryan.  Memorial services have been held, but condolences are welcome.

     Pippin, I am sorry I wasn't there with you in your last painful moments.  I am sorry I was never as loyal to you as you were to me.  Thank you for always being there for me when I needed you, and for bringing so many joyful memories to our family.  i would gladly clean up doggy pee from my throw pillows every day if it would bring you back.  I hope you are happy and among friends, in a place with wide open fields, no cars, and no fences.  Goodbye, Pip.  We love you.  We'll be seeing you again.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I may be crying and you know how much I absolutely detest any (and ALL) dogs! I'm so sorry, Stanger Family! Before my jaded heart became so cold, I also knew how difficult it was to lose a pet! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, sweetie! I just got your message, but I figured you were probably eating dinner right now. So, I'll call you in a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so sorry to hear of little Pippen! We called Dirks phone today because we were in Shelley, but apparently he was busy taking care of some sad business. I hope your heart heals and the kids too! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete