Tuesday, February 21, 2012

CHURCH

The word strikes fear and anxiety into the hearts of religious mothers everywhere. For those who don't practice any certain religion, or who practice in the privacy of their homes as opposed to meeting in a congregation, Sunday is a peaceful, relaxing day......an extension of a nice weekend......perhaps a day to recover from a hangover. For atheists, Steve Martin will inform you, Sunday is a day to stay home and watch football in their underwear. When I wake on a Sunday morning, the sun's first soft rays spreading slowly across the length of my bed, the birds' song outside my window a Heavenly hymn of praise, my children quietly studying their scriptures while Dirk and I sleep in.........alright, alright......I can't continue on with this facade anymore. Nowhere in my memory is there a Sunday morning which remotely fits this description. Here is how last Sunday morning went down in the Stanger household....... At about 5:45, Ryan woke up for his morning bottle. Dirk, who happens to be the best husband in the world, fed Ryan, put him back down, and we both went back to sleep......until approximately 6:45, when Hyrum , too impatient to play with his blocks, barged into the room, waking Ryan, who in turn woke Dirk and I. We sleepwalked to the table where we enjoyed a gourmet meal of "Golden Puffs", after which Morgan proceeded to spill a stream of milk across the entire kitchen while taking her bowl to the sink. I cleaned up the milk, fed Ryan his rice cereal and prunes, which ended up mostly on my shirt, thanks to a few adorable raspberries. Dirk went out to shovel the driveway, as it had snowed for the second time this winter. Being the good man that he is, he also shoveled the driveways of about five elderly couples or widows in our neighborhood. As Dirk was out shoveling, I put Ryan down for a nap, as my other two children brought every toy they own into the living room, and apparently lit a grenade, or so it seemed from the wreckage in my living room. I decided the damage couldn't get much worse, and that I better wash the two days worth of grease out of my hair while Ryan was contained. I decided I would actually go so far as to shave my legs! On the way into the shower, I banged my calf on the edge of the tub. I allowed myself exactly three minutes of sobbing (the bang didn't hurt that badly....it was just the cherry on top of my horrid Sunday sundae), and decided I simply needed to improve my attitude. I stopped sobbing and started to shave. Mid-shave, Dirk returned from shoveling four blocks and came into the bathroom to tell me he was home. It caught me off guard (still a little scarred from the time I watched "Psycho" on t.v.- showering has never been quite the same)......the result was a slip of my hand and a canyon sized gash along my shinbone. Dirk waited for me outside the tub, armed with tissues and band-aids. Four band-aids later, I was getting dressed to the sound of Ryan screaming after his 20 minute cat-nap. The moment I emerged from the bathroom, Hyrum was there to inform me that Morgan had "grabbed his arm". I think I looked at him blankly, turned, walked into my room and shut the door behind me. After a few deep breathing exercises, I emerged a new woman, ready for the blissful Sunday which surely awaited me.......and cue Ryan spitting up a fountain of prunes all over the carpet. Dirk left for a morning meeting as I knelt in my dress scrubbing prunes out of the carpet. Throughout all of these goings on, there were, at intervals, shouts of......."Pippin.....LEAVE IT!!!!" "Morgan.........stop grabbing my arm!", and "Hyrum is BREATHING ON ME!" In the midst of this Sunday morning serenade, I managed to slap some makeup on and fix my hair enough to look moderately presentable. I looked at the clock only to realize that church started in 30 minutes, and I still needed to feed three children and pack a diaper bag. I dumped two cans of chicken noodle soup in a pot on the stove and fed Ryan his banana orange medley, which I, once again, ended up wearing, courtesy of my slap happy baby, who finds great amusement in knocking the spoon full of food out of my hand. I hosed Ryan and myself down and turned to see Pippin waiting by the back door. As I returned from letting the pooch out, I was greeted by a distinct burning smell and the sound of chicken noodle boiling over Old-Faithful style. I sopped up the soup with an entire roll of paper towels, put what I could salvage in three bowls, and shoved a few bites in my mouth as I simultaneously cleaned up the rest of the soup explosion. I began frantically throwing together a diaper bag. Mid-packing, Ryan dropped the a-bomb of baby stench. On my journey to the outside trash can to detonate the Hiroshima of diapers, I managed to stub my toe AND bite my lip. At this point, I was seconds away from falling into a heap on the snow-covered lawn, and waiting until someone, seeing a woman in Sunday best, covered in bananas and oranges mixed with puke and smelling of sewage, in a fit of uncontrollable hysterics that ranged somewhere between sobbing and guffawing, would bring me my straight jacket and take me away. Instead, realizing that church would start in five minutes, I took another deep breath, watching my toes carefully as I stepped in the door. I barked at the kids to get their coats, banished Peregrin Took to his kennel, strapped the baby in the car seat, grabbed the bag, and flew out the door.
By the time we arrived at the chapel, the opening hymn had already begun. We entered the overflow of the chapel (the section they open up for those of us who are constantly tardy), to the strains of......."Welcome, welcome, Sabbath morning, now we rest from every care......" Oh the irony. At this point I couldn't stifle my laughter. I was glad to be seated in the back of the chapel, far away from the pulpit, so the bishop couldn't see me laughing through a stream of tears throughout the remainder of the hymn. A few minutes later, I excused myself to go and get a drink. It was one of the rare Sundays when Dirk was able to attend Sacrament meeting with us. Seeing the state I was in, he was more than willing to sit with the kids for a few moments while I attempted to compose myself. I paced the church bathroom, hands on hips, taking deep breaths as I willed the tears to stop. The question resounding in my mind was "WHY AM I EVEN HERE?!"........"I should be home recovering from my multitude of fresh injuries." "I should be in Bermuda........I should be ANYWHERE BUT HERE." Truth be told, I didn't quite feel worthy to be in such a holy place at the moment. My Christian charity was worn to a thread; my patience was non-existant. I knew, however, that I could not leave Dirk in the chapel with all three kids (tempted though I may have been to see how he would handle what I do almost every week). I made it back to the chapel just as the Sacrament hymn began. As music filled the room, I could feel my heart begin to lighten. I looked at my children.....who were actually sitting 80% still (even if a little nose picking was involved); Hyrum was looking through some picture cards I packed which depict scenes of the Savior's life and ministry. All at once, a wave of recognition swept over me. Despite the fact that I arrived at church feeling like a had run a marathon (or at least a 5K), I was here. I was here because I needed to show my children that there was Something much greater than scraped shins and toy tornadoes and soup geysers. I needed to show them, by example, the meaning of gratitude. Can devotion truly be measured in the midst of peace? Or can true devotion only be shown when we press on, through the turbulence, to thank a Power higher than ourselves for the glorious chaos we are blessed to live each day?

4 comments:

  1. Ditto! And you are a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, you are such a good writer. Someday when the chaos is different (it nevers ends, just changes) and you are in a different time and season I think I will be reading a book by Shannon Stanger. You are really a good writer. You keep going! And by the way, at your book signing you can wear that spectacular dress that you pinned. It's so you - just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say!? That was just too funny! I couldn't stop laughing the whole time I was reading your blog. Not that I didn't recognize the "horror" you were going through that Sunday, but the way you described it... it was just too funny. You sure have a way with words! Keep writing... you're just awsome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, a morning such as this was why we were in the overflow as well! :)

    ReplyDelete