Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Why I decided to start a blog

I am not 100% sure why I decided to create a blog. I don't even fully understand the word "blog". What exactly does it mean? It could be some sort of monster from a Dr. Suess book...... I'm not really sure. And I am not completely sure that I am o.k. with being referred to as a "blogger". That just sounds like a British swear word. My husband, Dirk, likes to describe us as "Mormish". We are Mormons by religion and apparently Amish by lifestyle, when compared with the majority of our acquaintances. I guess it has been a little Gilligan's Island here for the last few years, although we actually do have phone, lights, and a few small luxuries. But, we just connected our internet service about a week ago on our dinosaur (it's 6 years old) of a computer. And I have never owned a cell phone until about a year ago, when my family basically forced me to get an emergency go-phone. Technology and I have never had an intimate relationship, and infact, I have been known to completely destroy a technological device by merely looking at it.... I'm like a new brand of super hero......"Mormish Girl", cleansing the world of relentless technological advances one computer at a time. However, I have never met a pen I didn't like. I have expressed my thoughts and feelings in writing since I can remember. So, when I started thinking of a blog as more of an online journal than a brag book about the number of times my 3-year old pooped in the toilet, the idea started to catch on, and then started to nag me. Since most of the world communicates digitally these days, I suppose a "blog" ( still can't quite bring myself to use the word without quotations), could be a way for my family and friends to get to know a little bit more about me and how I see the world. More than likely, it will usually be more of an incoherent rant (similar to what I am doing now), but I still feel it is a better way to keep in touch than by posting on Facebook to the entire digitally connected world that I just watched the O'Reilly Factor in my smurf pajamas while eating a bowl of Captain Crunch. I will now give you the disclaimer that there will probably not be many pictures posted.......once again, this is not a family photo album. I'm a writer, or maybe a ranter (it's really the same thing). So, this is me......if you'd like to come along for the ride, you are welcome. And maybe, on days when I am buried in a pile of laundry with sounds of Elmo's latest discovery reverberating in my ears, this "blog" will help me feel a little more connected to the rest of the world. Looks like Mormish Girl may be learning to connect on a new level........more to come........

4 comments:

  1. Yay! I love it Mormish Girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... you're awesome and I can't wait to read more! :) You now have at least one follower, although I don't know if there is a way to make that official. Do I just make some sort of statement? Does this count as an official statement? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you on the technology bit. Way to avoid the modern day plague!!! my job soley focuses on technology, how sad is that? i have to pretend i care about all the statistics of computers/tvs/printers/ect...but i think tv is destroying families and rotting our minds. and cell phones are like shackles. (you can never escape) i believe in people, and technology is taking the person out of personal. Dear girlfriend, because you texted me "hey" and i didn't respond, does not mean i don't care. I'm talking to a phone, not you. Talking to you face to face, or over texts is absolutely different no matter how you defend it's importance. Ha this is your blog (or rant space) but i had to rant myself, just for kicks! love you sis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shan, or MG. So... technologically challenged?? Definitely something I may have passed on unwittingly. You just keep on ranting. I love it and I love you.

    ReplyDelete